Symptom Assessment in CoVid & Emergency Advice
Erasmus : What symptoms do they say are typical of CoVid infection?
Dr Xxxxx : What follows is a general online description of risk factors and symptoms.
Have you been within 6 feet of a person with a lab-confirmed case of COVID-19 for at least 5 minutes, or had direct contact with their mucus or saliva, in the past 14 days?
In the last 48 hours, have you had any of the following NEW symptoms?
Fever of 100 F (37.8 C) or above, or possible fever symptoms like alternating chills and sweating, cough, trouble breathing, shortness of breath or severe wheezing, chills or repeated shaking with chills, muscle aches, sore throat, loss of smell or taste, or a change in taste, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, headache.
Symptoms of COVID-19 include new:
* Cough or sore throat
* Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
* Chills or repeated shaking with chills
* Muscle aches
* Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
* Loss of smell or taste, or a change in taste
Call 000 Australia, 911 (USA) or your local emergency number immediately if you develop symptoms like:
* Ongoing pain or pressure in your chest
* New confusion
* A bluish color to your lips or face
* Struggling to breathe
* Feeling about to collapse every time you stand or sit up
* Identifying the Coronavirus Infection
PPE : personal protective equipment
New CoVid variants are challenging our assumptions about exposure time required for infection. They spread more easily/ more aggressively than the early strains. As late as Oct 2020 the White house championed a 1.5m (6 feet) and 15 minute rule for assessing your risk of acquiring an infection.
These figures derived from early experience in China where it was noted that most viral particles fall to the ground within a few feet of the person who exhaled them and very few casual contacts of an infected person acquired the disease. The 15 minute guideline was drafted mainly to enable contact tracers to follow up just the high risk cases.
But in poorly ventilated enclosed spaces, particle can linger in the air for some time and spread within the entire room. This is the basis of the Byron Bay party breakout in New South Wales Australia which resulted in closing down an entire song festival (the Bluesfest) on Easter weekend 2021.
* The symptoms of the coronavirus essentially are not very different from any flu or other respiratory illness which you may catch. It is essentially impossible to determine by assessing the symptoms whether you may have coronavirus or not. People who catch an illness which is significant – different from something they would routinely experience in their lives – become suspicious that perhaps it could be coronavirus based on all the media hype creating worry. It is for this reason that they volunteer for testing, not because the viral symptoms are unique enough to suggest that it is a coronavirus infection.
* In short coronavirus looks very much like anything else you can get sick with – perhaps on the worse side of usual – this being the most distinctive aspect of the infection. You could say that perhaps coronavirus infection looks like just another bad flu. The flu virus causes a range of illnesses and deaths in a range of ages. However there is no general or population immunity to the coronavirus, so that the deaths concentrate in the older age groups – predominately in corona virus infections.
Hazmat level personal protective equipment.
Kinkajou: The symptoms lauded as being significant in Corona virus infection seem to suggest two things to me. They are symptoms of coughs and colds – much like any cough or cold. The symptoms are almost useless to identify anything. Secondly, most of the highlighted symptoms are really asking if you are “really really” sick with Corona virus. They are not about identifying “usual” Corona virus infection. They are about identifying really severe and serious Corona Virus (CoVid) infection.
Dr Xxxxx : I agree. I think the one thing that suggests itself that the medical literature has not emphasized is that Corona Virus infection does have some distinct aspects to its “vanilla” symptoms. CoVid is a really bad local infection. So the throat infection will be unusual in its' severity and duration even in “asymptomatic” people who catch the virus.
People will have the experience of the infection being distinct and of being different to the average cough, cold or sore throat. Because viral infections rapidly develop secondary bacterial colonisation, these infections may even seem to respond to antibiotics, though they are viral in origin.
Erasmus : I imagine they would respond to Betadine (Povidone Iodine) and antibiotics even better.
Lying back to hold Betadine / Povidone Iodine on your throat.
Dr Xxxxx : Yes. Just so.
If your health care provider suspects or confirms that you have COVID-19:
* Don't leave your home, except to get medical care, until cleared by your health care provider.
* Stay in a specific room away from others in your home, and use a separate bathroom, if possible.
* Do not share household items.
* Wear a mask around others if contact is necessary.
* Contact your health care provider for more advice if symptoms continue or get worse, or if new symptoms start.
* Notify employee or occupational health at your work site before returning to work if you're a health care worker.
And Betadine (Povidone Iodine) your throat and larynx to reduce infection pool base.